Home / Forums / Site Discussion / PocketMonsters.net Version 5 Suggestion/Changes
Thread Posts
13 Jun 2012 09:25 PM
Sunain Administrator
Development on the next version of PocketMonsters.net has begun and we'd like to hear from the visitors of the site on what they'd like to see added and/or changed from the current version of the site. If you have any suggestions that you'd like to see implemented, please let us know what they are here in this thread.

Thanks for visiting the site!
19 Jan 2013 04:19 PM
inu-liger Administrator
I'd like to see Blu-ray releases listed more distinctly in the db, as well as making searching for them much easier. Maybe adding a search by region function would make this much easier.
Giving the lines in the db listing concerning individual Blu-ray releases a blue blackground just on those lines would also help the BD listings jump out more visibly, if we continue to keep those on the same page as DVD's.

CD/DVD listings should probably also include purchase links (including multiple) to reliable websites carrying product in stock, since a lot of people especially newer fans might like the help to find items that are not as easily searchable as others.
Last edited 19 Jan 2013 04:59 PM by inu-liger
19 Jan 2013 08:23 PM
michan Administrator
About a year ago I talked to JDS about adding something to the movie pages that shows between which episodes they take place chronologically, since this is something I wonder myself. Kayron and Erlade thought this was a good idea as well.
This could also be applied to numberless episodes such as Mastermind of the Mirage Pokémon and others.

JDS said it could be done "in theory".
Home cooking is killing restaurant industry (and it's tasty)!
19 Jan 2013 08:57 PM
TSS_Killer Administrator
As I previously suggested, we should implement a timeline feature chronicling all of the subtle changes like minor opening/ending differences, errors in the original airing, introduction to new characters, and special one off segments that were removed in future airings.
Last edited 07 Jul 2013 05:02 PM by TSS_Killer
Miju Technical
15 Aug 2014 03:36 PM
Sunain Administrator
Quote From: inu-liger
I'd like to see Blu-ray releases listed more distinctly in the db, as well as making searching for them much easier. Maybe adding a search by region function would make this much easier.
Giving the lines in the db listing concerning individual Blu-ray releases a blue blackground just on those lines would also help the BD listings jump out more visibly, if we continue to keep those on the same page as DVD's.

This function should now be fully working on the website.
Administrator of PocketMonsters.net
20 Jan 2015 01:39 PM
Sunain Administrator
As requested, Pokemon Anime Characters now have a link to their dex entry at the top of each bio. The anime tab in the dex is unchanged and list all the anime character Pokemon still for that species. Makes it a bit easy to click navigate.
12 Dec 2015 03:09 AM
Suicune Administrator
So, since I was told to better post here what things I really dislike about the current PM-net layout, here they are:

1. Why do i visit a Pokémon page?

90% to look for new news, 10% for information about stuff that's not to be found on the mainpage.
What do i see first? A giant info box about latest episodes and DVD/Blu-Ray releases. And I already have a big 1920x1200 screen.
Max. ~50% of all fans watch/ the anime, even lessen buy DVDs/Blu-Rays or visit events. So most of them are probably not that interested to read about what comes next. Especially most of the adult fans don't watch the Anime anymore.
Below that box is another box with latest imagoboard stuff, latest news short list and latest forum posts.
I sometimes take a look at the imageboard stuff, latest news short list is ok to have, but not at that place in my opinion, and actually my mind completely ignores the forums stuff. I personally even struggle to find a link somewhere else to the forums (alwas forget it's existence in general) or the imageboard. I always think they are in the "Main" dropdown.
So now I always have to scroll down twice to be able to read the latest news (Did I mention I have a 1200p screen?), the reason why I mostly come to the page. And this really annoys me and probably other people as well. Because most of the information I see first is secondary information that's ok to know, but not reason why i came.
People are lazy, even too lazy to scroll down. It's like a newspaper. I don't know that much about webdesign/newspaper design, but if the main information doesn't catch someones eye instantly somehow, most people won't come back in future if they have another source. Maybe only come back for more detailed information or pics since the information that's provided here is actually great.

So the secondary informations should be where they belong and where they were in previous styles. In tables on the left and/or right side of the page. Also a good place for all the affilates etc.
Could also be used to list current event Pokémon by country in tabs (Main one selectable in profile?)

2. Big, bigger, newsboxes.

To news itself: Nothing is wrong with the information itself, it's great. But: Frigging huge newsboxes! I have seen newsboxes taking up to 4 screens, so up to 4k pixels in heigh because all the informtion with all its - sometimes - big pics is instantly visible. And these huge newsboxes are making the page really long, so a lot of annoying scrolling.
It mostly doesn't need any images to describe the news. Pics/Videos are nice to have left/right/below of the text, rarely above, but are mostly not the important part. I don't need the full size pic of San Francisco or the American Diancie DVD. They would be perfect ok as 200p thumbnail on the right side of the text. Like that the box would just be ~400 pixel heigh or so at the end. Perfect for everyone to have a quick look on a new information.
For additional information, pictures, videos, you can make a "Read more" dropdown thingy or whatever that thing is called for news.

3. Hey, we have imageboard, chat and forums! Also Twitter and RSS Feed!

Give them their own buttons, people are too lazy to fiddle with drop down menus. Like that people see they exist!
Since we also have Twitter and RSS Feed, let the people know about them, but not at the end of the page where no one looks. Filb.de for example hat its Twitter feed on the page in a small table. People use them a lot these days.

4. Color sheme

How to describe it.. I have seem this black/white/grey-yellowish sheme on pages who want to sell me champagne. I.. really dislike that grey-yellowish ^^"
It's not really a color you find on pages that have to do with kids / anime / gaming stuff and fun stuff in general.
The banner is nice, I really like the logo and DNS thingy and the characters next to them.

5. Re-sort of some sections

Users / Site updates / Rules / Link to us/ Contact us / About us. - Doesn't really belong into the Main Menu dropdown I think. Should get it's own section on the right side.
Content Database to "Main" or that one mentioned above.
Imageboard / Forum Index to "Main"
Re-name "Content" to "Games"
Give the CD, DVD / Blu-Ray, Songs and maybe Opening/Ending databases their very own section. They are the best parts of the page since there is no other page I know that has such a detailed database about all the media stuff. Maybe name it "Media" or so.

6. Brighter Icons in the little bar in the top-right corner. I tend to oversee that little thing and so the icon for the search bar.

So, here are the things that annoyed me since we use that layout. And I also added some other things that came into my mind while having a look at the page. No idea if it will change anything since the page is supposed to change by the end of the year, but who knows.
Staff of http://rngplayspokemon.com/
01 Jan 2016 09:41 AM
Sunain Administrator
Quote From: Kaioshin
So, since I was told to better post here what things I really dislike about the current PM-net layout, here they are:

1. Why do i visit a Pokémon page?

90% to look for new news, 10% for information about stuff that's not to be found on the mainpage.
What do i see first? A giant info box about latest episodes and DVD/Blu-Ray releases. And I already have a big 1920x1200 screen.

The site is compatible with all resolutions, but personally i use a 1920 wide screen and snap it in half. That's how I view the site as I never liked websurfing with such a wide screen at that resolution.

Max. ~50% of all fans watch/ the anime, even lessen buy DVDs/Blu-Rays or visit events. So most of them are probably not that interested to read about what comes next. Especially most of the adult fans don't watch the Anime anymore.
Below that box is another box with latest imagoboard stuff, latest news short list and latest forum posts.
I sometimes take a look at the imageboard stuff, latest news short list is ok to have, but not at that place in my opinion, and actually my mind completely ignores the forums stuff. I personally even struggle to find a link somewhere else to the forums (alwas forget it's existence in general) or the imageboard. I always think they are in the "Main" dropdown.

We will add Imageboard, Forums, IRC, buttons at some time in the future to complement the RSS and Twitter ones to make them a bit more prevalent to viewers. I agree that the Anime shouldn't be the main focus of the site, hence the moving down the Upcoming episodes and promoting the Latest News, Imageboard and forum post blocks first.

2. Big, bigger, newsboxes.

To news itself: Nothing is wrong with the information itself, it's great. But: Frigging huge newsboxes! I have seen newsboxes taking up to 4 screens, so up to 4k pixels in heigh because all the informtion with all its - sometimes - big pics is instantly visible. And these huge newsboxes are making the page really long, so a lot of annoying scrolling.
It mostly doesn't need any images to describe the news. Pics/Videos are nice to have left/right/below of the text, rarely above, but are mostly not the important part. I don't need the full size pic of San Francisco or the American Diancie DVD. They would be perfect ok as 200p thumbnail on the right side of the text. Like that the box would just be ~400 pixel heigh or so at the end. Perfect for everyone to have a quick look on a new information.
For additional information, pictures, videos, you can make a "Read more" dropdown thingy or whatever that thing is called for news.

I'll try to add more smaller pictures in news articles with thumbnail links to higher resolutions. News article pictures never go past 700px though but sometimes higher resolution pictures are good on the main article. I agree HQ isn't always the best in news articles as it lowers load times and increases bandwidth use.

4. Color sheme

How to describe it.. I have seem this black/white/grey-yellowish sheme on pages who want to sell me champagne. I.. really dislike that grey-yellowish ^^"
It's not really a color you find on pages that have to do with kids / anime / gaming stuff and fun stuff in general.
The banner is nice, I really like the logo and DNS thingy and the characters next to them.

The Color scheme and logos will change when the new main series game is revealed and we can take some creative ideas from it to promote the games release.

5. Re-sort of some sections

Users / Site updates / Rules / Link to us/ Contact us / About us. - Doesn't really belong into the Main Menu dropdown I think. Should get it's own section on the right side.
Content Database to "Main" or that one mentioned above.
Imageboard / Forum Index to "Main"
Re-name "Content" to "Games"
Give the CD, DVD / Blu-Ray, Songs and maybe Opening/Ending databases their very own section. They are the best parts of the page since there is no other page I know that has such a detailed database about all the media stuff. Maybe name it "Media" or so.

Reorganized most of those links as you suggested. Hopefully its easier, more logical, and streamlined.

6. Brighter Icons in the little bar in the top-right corner. I tend to oversee that little thing and so the icon for the search bar.

Made some brighter and colored icons for the User nav bar. Hopefully they make it easier to distinguish.

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions. They are always welcomed.
11 Feb 2016 12:26 AM
Sunain Administrator
Pocketmonsters.net now supports SSL/TLS available via: https://www.pocketmonsters.net
22 Mar 2016 03:49 PM
Sunain Administrator
Server maintenance was performed on Monday March 21st, 2015 by hosting provider. Site stability, errors and speed should be improved.