Home / Forums / News/Current Events / PIKACHU THE MOVIE PREMIUM BOX 1998-2010 Bluray Set...
Thread Posts
20 Jun 2012 02:56 PM
ForumBot Automated Bots
Various online retailers have revealed that the PIKACHU THE MOVIE PREMIUM BOX 1998-2010 Bluray Set will be released in Japan on November 28th, 2012 for 38,640yen ($485USD before tax, shipping and duty). The Bluray set includes the first 13th Pocket Monsters movies and 5 shorts. Last years movies are already available in a Bluray boxset. The limited edition Bluray set includes 14 discs featuring remastered versions of all the first 13 movies and 5 shorts. It's catalog number is ZMAS-6200. The 3rd movie short is not included in the Bluray boxset and multiple sources including the official Media Factory page confirm that. It is unclear why that short is not included. It was included on the previous DVD box set though.

tcg
Click on image for higher resolution

A five disc PIKACHU THE MOVIE BOX 2007-2010 DVD set was also announced and includes movies 10-13 with an extra DVD. The DVD set will be released on October 24th, 2012 for 10,500yen ($120USD). It's catalog number is ZMSS-6100. Both boxsets are being released to commemorate the 15th anniversary of the Pocket Monsters anime.

Bluray Set Disc listing

discs

Both sets have been added to our DVD/Bluray database and will be updated as more information becomes available.

Sources: http://www.mediafactory.co.jp/pokemoviebox15/, http://tower.jp/ and http://www.animate-onlineshop.jp/
20 Jun 2012 03:11 PM
Sunain Administrator
This Bluray set is WAY way way to overpriced! It sounds like its going to be a good set though but I cannot justify spending that kind of money on a box set. The Cardcaptors Bluray set was even more than this one but I guess the Japanese are willing to pay more for Blurays.
Last edited 20 Jun 2012 03:13 PM by Sunain
20 Jun 2012 04:06 PM
Quote From: Sunain
This Bluray set is WAY way way to overpriced! It sounds like its going to be a good set though but I cannot justify spending that kind of money on a box set. The Cardcaptors Bluray set was even more than this one but I guess the Japanese are willing to pay more for Blurays.

I've paid stupid amounts for music cd's in the past but thats always been because they are rare.$150-$200 and it might be worth purchasing..but at that price no thanks!!
21 Jun 2012 08:45 AM
Looks like they just took the total of what each disc would have cost, and took that as the price for the set. Overpriced indeed I wouldn't be surprised if the price drops in early 2013 (ok, that's more wishful thinking than anything else).

But wow, almost 500$... I know japanese DVDs and Blu-Rays are expensive, but still...
29 Jun 2012 01:20 AM
I wonder if it would be possible to change the audio language from Japanese to English on this box set? I'd doubt it, but it would be nice to have every movie on blu-ray
29 Jun 2012 12:14 PM
Sunain Administrator
Quote From: sonic10158
I wonder if it would be possible to change the audio language from Japanese to English on this box set? I'd doubt it, but it would be nice to have every movie on blu-ray

Despite previous versions of the Japanese movies having some English audio tracks, I don't think we'll see any English audio tracks on the Bluray set. I haven't seen anywhere confirm the audio yet though so it will be interesting to see if the audio is also remastered for Dolby True HD / 7.1 / Master Audio, ect.
30 Jun 2012 04:07 PM
Well, at this price, that'd be the least to do...
01 Jul 2012 11:23 AM
I don't understand why you say they're overpriced. In this set they're about half the price of what you would pay for the separate DVDs. It really is a bargain for Japanese standards. And I don't think there will be a price drop as this set is limited just like the old DVD boxes which were out of print just a few months after release. So that's definitely a must-buy.
01 Jul 2012 01:06 PM
Sunain Administrator
Quote From: skyform
I don't understand why you say they're overpriced. In this set they're about half the price of what you would pay for the separate DVDs. It really is a bargain for Japanese standards. And I don't think there will be a price drop as this set is limited just like the old DVD boxes which were out of print just a few months after release. So that's definitely a must-buy.

They are overprice compared to similar movie Bluray sets worldwide. For instance, Star Trek which is notorious for being overpriced in North America is 'only' $60 for 6 movies. http://www.amazon.ca/Star-Trek-Picture-Trilogy-Blu-ray/dp/B001TH16D8. $10 a movie on bluray is a fair price. A really good comparison is the upcoming James Bond Bluray set. http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B006WRCDPA/. 22 movies for $200, less than $10 a disc which is a fair price but even Engadget calls the Bond set 'a hefty price'. http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/21/james-bond-50-blu-ray-boxed-set-september/ We all know that by Japanese standards, the Pokemon Bluray set is priced accordingly but that doesn't make it a fair price especially if you are importing. I don't know about you, but I cannot afford to pay $550 on a couple movies. I'd like to though but cannot justify spending that kind of money when there are bills to pay and a family to provide for.

Last edited 01 Jul 2012 03:15 PM by Sunain
09 Jul 2012 11:26 AM
It hurts because I've been waiting for something like this. I'm seriously debating getting it because I love Blu-Ray and not that huge a fan of the dub. I don't know. I mean I'm getting a full time job soon, but that's still hefty. I might just stick with Super Sentai (Sad day when Super Sentai DVDs and Blu-Rays prices don't look that bad, although Pokemon does include full length films). Here's hoping for cheaper prices somewhere down the road, either by pricing down the set or separate releases.