Home / Forums / News/Current Events / Pokémon Sword and Shield - A Few Musical Notes fro...
Thread Posts
09 Nov 2019 05:46 PM
ForumBot Automated Bots
A new news article has been posted!
Game Developer Toby Fox, Undertale’s creator and composer, has created a song just for Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield! He posted a letter to let people know about the partnership and how it came to be.

A Special Letter and Song from Undertale Game Creator Toby Fox

The indie game creator talks about his musical contribution to Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield.

Toby Fox is a rising star in the world of indie video games, having created the breakout hit Undertale almost entirely on his own. He even composed all the music for it! Undertale caught the eye of the Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield developers at GAME FREAK, who invited him to write a song for the upcoming adventure.

We're delighted to share Toby's letter to Pokémon fans about how our partnership with him came to be and about how excited he is to share his latest song. You can even listen to a snippet of the song by clicking the play button at the top of this page!

Toby Fox Letter

Hi everyone! I'm Toby Fox. Have you heard of me before? Well, that's 'cause I just said my name. LOL

Jokes aside, aren't you interested in how all of this happened? Well... OK. I'll tell you, I guess.

Once upon a time, I created an RPG game called UNDERTALE. For one reason or another, it seems a lot of people from GAME FREAK ended up becoming fans of this game.

One day, I noticed Go Ichinose-san, one of the composers for Pokémon, was following me on Twitter, so... I messaged him out of the blue.

Eventually, we became friends and I was able to meet many other people from GAME FREAK, too! After eating sukiyaki with members of the company one day, we went to a cafe. There, I ordered a bottled green tea and selfishly, randomly asked if I could make a song for Pokémon someday...

... they said yes! Right there in the cafe, they immediately told me a concept for a song I could make, and, as I walked home, my heart was burning with inspiration... a melody entered my head, and as I stumbled past salarymen in the dark, I sang it to myself over and over so I wouldn't forget it!

In the end, that song... became the song you can hear in the game!

It's a fierce track full of explosive power. I wanted to show the energy and passion I felt when asked to create a song for Pokémon! Yeahh! Let's get wild, baby!!! Ah, but wait, wait a second. It's the only song I made, and you can't hear it until you beat the game, so... make sure you enjoy GAME FREAK's music properly first, OK!? Adachi-san and Ichinose-san worked hard.... Don't rush through the whole game just to hear my song.... (No one would actually ever do that.)

Oh, and this goes without saying, but it's a huge honor to be allowed to make music for GAME FREAK! I'm so, so happy and thankful I was allowed to do this. So please look forward to the song, and to Pokémon Sword and Shield, as well! Yamper yam yam!

PS - If you like it, please let GAME FREAK know. They might treat me to sukiyaki again. (No one would ever actually do that.)

Source: https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/a-special-letter-and-song-from-undertale-game-creator-toby-fox/

YouTube Clip - A Few Musical Notes from Game Developer Toby Fox

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7AmximCnRg
Last edited 09 Nov 2019 05:48 PM by Sunain