Home / Forums / News/Current Events / Pokémon Black and White Announced
Thread Posts
09 Apr 2010 02:15 PM
ForumBot Automated Bots
The official Japanese website has announced Pokémon Black and White (ポケットモンスター ブラック・ホワイト) for the Nintendo DS. The 5th Generation games will be released later this year. More information about the games will be released later this week.

Thumbnail Thumbnail

Source: http://www.pokemon.co.jp/bw/index.html
09 Apr 2010 02:19 PM
Sunain Administrator
Well this is the biggest news of the year thats for sure. It will be interesting to see what changes they make to the series. I'm surprised they picked these titles though. Black/white generally refers to good vs evil.
09 Apr 2010 05:40 PM
It's kinda hard to believe that we're getting into 5th generation. It feels like 4th generation flew by so quickly. It's kinda funny how we went from jewels to solid colors (though black and white are neutral colors).

However, I don't see NoA taking these titles too well. I think there will either be a change in titles, or massive drama caused by the media. A lot of people are kinda freaking out already, but I don't see too much of a problem. They're just colors. :/

It'll be interesting to see how this turns out. But something I don't understand is why they plan to put it on the DS when the 3DS will be arriving within supposedly a year. But hopefully, the games won't look too similar to 4th generation, or it'll really feel like the same thing all over again. But then again, the original Gold & Silver were quite successful.
Last edited 09 Apr 2010 05:41 PM by UmbreonXD
09 Apr 2010 07:05 PM
_melee_ Administrator
I have to agree with UmbreonXD that the timing seems a bit odd. What with the 3DS coming out, with (by the time B/W are released) it only being a year since HG/SS were released in Japan, with there only being two new pokemon revealed so far . . . I dunno, it just doesn't seem to make that much sense from a marketing perspective. But at the same time, it is pretty exciting that they'll be coming out relatively soon and we won't have to spend too much time waiting for the new generation! It would be pretty cool to have Pokemon as a 3DS launch title, but I'm also glad I won't have to fork out the money for a new system just to play these games. But who knows, maybe the obligatory third version will be released on 3DS?

I found the names kind of surprising too, not because they're "controversial" but because they're pretty predictable. People have been speculating about Black and White versions back since the Red and Blue days! But thinking back, Diamond and Pearl were also popular speculative names, so I guess Game Freak is just running out of titles. One thing that strikes me about Black and White is that they're total opposites, which makes me wonder if the games will have much greater differences than just having a few pokemon exclusive to each version . . . but maybe I'm just thinking about it too much.

Personally I don't see why there should be a problem with using the names Black and White. I think it's sad if political correctness has reached a point where we can't even talk about colours anymore without risking offending people. Besides, "yellow" also has racial connotations but there was a Pokemon Yellow version, so why does there have to be a big deal about Black and White?
09 Apr 2010 09:49 PM
I wonder more what it means for the anime. The DP anime series still has a lot to cover in a short time.

I'm sure they'll get rid of Dawn/Hikari though and bring in the female protagonist of these games in the next arc.
13 Apr 2010 11:27 PM
Quote From: MelyVee
I sort of find it quite unfair if they kick Dawn out already and get the new girl.
I mean,
Ash traveled with Misty through two regions
With May, two regions too.
And Dawn just one? That's not good :/

Though, I do want to see the new region and Pokemon in action in the anime already.

i Understand that's exactly what i said BUT i believe it alot that Hiakri wont be kicked off the girl in the new series if i recall kinda looks weird and everyone knows Dawn is the prettiest female protagonist of all the series. Ya i agree Black and White are gonna start a problem with people.since ya you know what they are refered to.and its a bit too quick for a 5th generation...
19 Jul 2010 10:11 AM
Quote From: PokemonCoordinator

i Understand that's exactly what i said BUT i believe it alot that Hiakri wont be kicked off the girl in the new series if i recall kinda looks weird and everyone knows Dawn is the prettiest female protagonist of all the series. Ya i agree Black and White are gonna start a problem with people.since ya you know what they are refered to.and its a bit too quick for a 5th generation...

Dawn's not in the BW arc. They already showed the new female protagonist.

I'm not surprised, I don't see why anyone thought Dawn would last longer than May did or past one generation. Piplup also does not advertise the BW games.