The official Pokémon website has announced that Standard Battle regulations return to Video Game Battles in May 2021.
Standard Battle Regulations Return to Video Game Battles in May
Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield players can plan ahead for future Ranked Battles and tournaments.
Competitions using Ranked Battles Series 8 are just getting started, but it's not too early to start planning for Ranked Battles Series 9, starting on May 1, 2021. The new competitive video game format will be a return to the more standard regulations of play identical to Ranked Battles Series 7, with the more powerful Legendary Pokémon not permitted in battle. Mythical Pokémon will continue to be restricted. It might be a familiar format, but it's always exciting to see what new strategies will emerge!
Ranked Battles Series rules are the basis for core Pokémon video game competitions, whether they are Ranked Battles, Players Cup events, or in-person Championship Series tournaments. Some competitions and Ranked Battles Seasons can have modified or completely different rules, but these are the standard regulations for all Pokémon video game competitive play.
For a summary of all video game tournament rules, see below. You can also check out the Play! Pokémon Rules & Resources page to see complete Play! Pokémon VG rules and formats.
- Pokémon need to have either the Galar symbol—showing that they were caught, received, or hatched in the Galar region or the battle-ready symbol, showing that they were transferred from another game and adapted to battles in the Galar region.
- All Pokémon from the Galar Pokédex, the Isle of Armor Pokédex, and the Crown Tundra Pokédex, excluding the following Pokémon:
and all Mythical Pokémon.
- Pokémon with the Gigantamax Factor are permitted.
- All Pokémon will be set to Lv. 50, including Pokémon below Lv. 50.
- Duplicate Pokémon are not allowed.
- Duplicate held items are not allowed.
- Each battle begins with a 90-second Team Preview phase.
- In each battle, players have the following time limits:
- 7 minutes of Your Time
- 45 seconds of Move Time
- 20 minutes of Game Time
Look forward to battles using Ranked Battles Series 9 regulations starting May 1, 2021!