Home / Forums / Anime Discussion / Kanto Episodes / SL 21: バイバイバタフリー/Bye bye Butterfree/Bye-Bye Butter...
Thread Posts
19 Aug 1997 03:00 AM
AnimeBot Automated Bots
New episode title(s) has/have been added to the database. Title: バイバイバタフリー/Bye bye Butterfree/Bye-Bye Butterfree. Please comment below! Thanks, your friendly PM.Net AnimeBot
28 Oct 2008 07:00 PM
For me this is the episode that began my real love for pokemon and its still my favourite episode. It doesn't matter that I haven't seen the episode for about awhile. I still love it and I still remember it. Perhaps what I remember about it is actually different to what the episode contains. But its still the episode I adore. Looking at the episode pics for Diamond and Pearl as of late has interested me in that Butterfree has appeared a few times. I don't imagine a reunion but if it did happen that would be lovely. Its no co-incidence that Butterfree is also my favourite pokemon. There's just something about butterflies that interest me and Butterfree is so gorgeous.

I'll admit to never seeing the original episode. Its not that I dislike subs or dislike the Japanese version. Just that I am perfectly happy with the English release. I can't imagine this episode being one that had that many changes anyway.

Of course there is another reason for my love of this episode. In the early days of the pokemon community online (though I'm not even sure 2000 can be considered early) information from Japan was more scarce and episode pics and the like were difficult to find or non-existant. Anyway, in this era people tending to hang on anybodies word of what was happening or happened in Japan. Of course being in such a situation, a few people would interpret things wrongly. And one of those, was that there was a message at the end saying Butterfree or it was stated that Butterfree would die soon thereafter. Now of course, being the pokemon community this would cause some rifts and arguments to break out. But for me it only makes the episode that more interesting. Hmm I have probably said too much. But this episode still shines and I always shed a few tears when the credits close.
25 Nov 2010 04:37 PM
Sunain Administrator
Characters in Episode: Current Episode Guide Info Correct? [Yes]

Written Biographies for Characters in Episode:
- Pink Butterfree - The Pink Butterfree was love at first sight for Ash's Butterfree when it went looking for a mate in the flock of Butterfree. It tried to impress it with its moves and courtship dance but it was initially unimpressed and slapped Ash's Butterfree so it would leave her alone.

After getting captured by Team Rocket, its attitude towards Ash's Butterfree changed after it saw just how hard it worked for free it and the rest of the Butterfree. It later decided it liked Ash's Butterfree and the two of them ended up leaving to cross the ocean and have offspring.

- Ash's Butterfree - While on route to Saffron City, Ash and his friends saw a flock of Butterfree preparing for the season of love. Brock told Ash that if he didn't let his Butterfree cross the ocean, it couldn't leave any offspring. Ash was determined to be a good 'parent' and told Butterfree to go look for a mate. The Pink Butterfree was love at first sight for Ash's Butterfree when it went looking for a mate in the flock of Butterfree. It tried to impress the Pink Butterfree with its moves and courtship dance but the Pink Butterfree was initially unimpressed and slapped Ash's Butterfree so it would leave her alone.

After the flock of Butterfree got captured by Team Rocket, the Pink Butterfree's attitude towards Ash's Butterfree changed after it saw just how hard it worked for free it and the rest of the Butterfree. The Pink Butterfree later decided it liked Ash's Butterfree and the two of them ended up leaving to cross the ocean and have offspring. Butterfree was sad to leave Ash but it was now leaving to start its own family.

Pokemon in Episode: Current Episode Guide Info Correct? [Yes]
- Butterfree

Characters Pokemon Attacks used in Episode:
- Ash's Butterfree - Whirlwind, Tackle, Stun Spore
- Misty's Starmie - Tackle
- Ash's Pikachu - Thunderbolt

Episode Location: Forest near Yamabuki City

Episode Highlights:
- Rocket Gang attempts to capture a flock of Butterfree to give to the Boss.
- Ash's Butterfree is released and goes off with the Pink Butterfree.

Number of Times Team Rocket Blasted off in the episode: 1, after helicopter exploded.

Team Rocket Balloon Enhancements: None, used Helicopter instead.

Did Team Rocket use a Mecha in the episode?: No, Helicopter.

Easy to Spot Episode Edits:
- Link to Episode Edits: http://www.pocketmonsters.net/episodes/21#Edits

Episode Extras:
- Who's that Pokemon? Butterfree
- Dare da? Butterfree
Last edited 25 Nov 2010 04:58 PM by Sunain
19 Dec 2010 03:18 AM
(Note, this was already done once by Sunain, but as I signed up to do this block I'm doing it again anyway.)

Featured Character and Pokemon
Ash's Butterfree, Pink Butterfree (See Sunain's post above for bios)

Character & Character Pokemon
Ash, Brock, Misty, Ash's Pikachu, Ash's Butterfree, Pink Butterfree, Jessie, James, Meowth, Giovanni, Giovanni's Persian, Misty's Starmie

Characters Making First Appearance
Pink Butterfree

Pokemon's First Appearance

Other Pokemon Featured
Several Wild Butterfree, Several unnamed trainer's Butterfree,

Character's Pokemon Attacks Used
Ash's Butterfree - Whirlwind, Tackle, (untargeted to impress the pink butterfree) Stun Spore, (against team rocket) Tackle (to free the wild butterfree)
Misty's Starmie - Tackle
Ash's Pikachu - Thunder Bolt (against Team Rocket's Helicopter)

Location(s) featured
On the road to Saffron City

Ep Highlights
Brock attempts to convince Butterfree to court the butterfree of a pretty girl, before Misty bonks him on the head.
Butterfree's unsuccessful courtship dance
Ash, Misty, Brock, and Pikachu work together to build Butterfree's confidence
Team Rocket attempt to catch the entire swarm of wild butterfree with a giant netfor the boss.
Ash's butterfree saves the day, impressing the Pink Butterfree in the process
Ash, Brock, and Misty parody Theme Rocket's entrance
Jessie uses a sledge hammer to attack Starmie. Misty revives the fallen Sarmie with a backpack mounted water cannon.
Ash's Butterfree carries Pikachu to Team Rocket's helicopter to finish them
The impressed Pink Butterfree does a courtship dance for Ash's butterfree.
Ash leaves Butterfree behind to be with his new mate.
Tearjerker video package featuring Ash's memories of Butterfree

Who's That Pokemon
Butterfree (US)

Team Rocket Blast Offs
Ash's Pikachu shocks the helicopter

Team Rocket Balloon Enhancements
No Baloon. They use a Helicpoter

Team Rocket Mecha use (N)

Is the current ep guide correct (N)
Samurai and Semour were not in this episode despite appearing on the character list.
Actually they do in the Japanese version:
[url]http://www.pocketmonsters.net/images/episodes/21/000277.jpg[\url]
[url]http://www.pocketmonsters.net/images/episodes/21/000273.jpg[\url]

Last edited 19 Dec 2010 08:37 AM by Sunain
28 Feb 2014 09:35 AM
Adamant Administrator
Summary:
As Satoshi and friends continue their way towards Yamabuki City, they reach a place where the road continues along a steep cliff. There, they see a rabble of Butterfree flying over the sea, dancing in the air. Takeshi the Pokémon Breeder explains that it's currently the mating season for Butterfree. During this season, Butterfree fly across the sea to find a mating partner so they can produce offspring.

Satoshi directs his own Butterfree towards the rabble. Satoshi's Butterfree performs a courtship dance for a pink Butterfree, but seemingly gets turned down. Satoshi, Kasumi and Takeshi attempt to cheer up Butterfree, but the shock was too much for it.

Then, the Rocket Gang show up to capture all the Butterfree, including the pink Butterfree that Satoshi's Butterfree fell for. Satoshi's Butterfree confronts the Rocket Gang, wanting the save the aught Butterfree. Will it get the heart of the pink Butterfree in the end...?

Voice Cast:
Rica Matsumoto: Satoshi
Ikue Ohtani: Pikachu
Mayumi Iizuka: Kasumi
Yuji Ueda: Takeshi
Megumi Hayashibara: Musashi
Shinichiro Miki: Kojiro
Inuko Inuyama: Nyarth
Rikako Aikawa: Butterfree
Chinami Nishimura: Pink Butterfree
Tomoko Kotani: Beautiful Girl
Mari Amako: Beautiful Girl