Home / Forums / News/Current Events / An Afternoon with Mike Pollock - Interview
Thread Posts
28 Nov 2010 08:27 PM
Quote From: precita
One thing I notice is most voice actors do not actually watch the show they do voices for, and if they do, its only a handful of eps and not every episode.

He obviously didn't know what was going on in Best Wishes or most of the PUSA dub.

These VA's are not fans, they don't care about the anime unless they are getting a paycheck.

Generally, we're hired for any job because we're good actors, not because we're necessarily fans of the project. Given the choice, would you prefer the characters you love be voiced by a superfan whose acting talents span the spectrum from A to B, or by a professional actor who can spend an hour or so in the studio and give a credible performance before moving on to the next gig on the agenda?
28 Nov 2010 08:52 PM
Sunain Administrator
One thing I notice is most voice actors do not actually watch the show they do voices for, and if they do, its only a handful of eps and not every episode.

He obviously didn't know what was going on in Best Wishes or most of the PUSA dub.

These VA's are not fans, they don't care about the anime unless they are getting a paycheck.

Quote From: itsamike
Generally, we're hired for any job because we're good actors, not because we're necessarily fans of the project. Given the choice, would you prefer the characters you love be voiced by a superfan whose acting talents span the spectrum from A to B, or by a professional actor who can spend an hour or so in the studio and give a credible performance before moving on to the next gig on the agenda?

Obviously a good experienced voice actor like Mr. Pollock can make a character feel real and more enjoyable rather than a fan that is inexperienced and amateurish. Most actors are given a background on a character before they do work so they understand where the character is coming from. Most actors are very thankful for the opportunity to have a job and respect that fact but that doesn't mean they have to be a 'superfan' of the show to have a good performance.

Last edited 28 Nov 2010 09:03 PM by Sunain
01 Dec 2010 03:46 PM

Speaking of Best Wishes, I was the one who asked the BW question!
I read the interview, and I will say it's good.
Look at my YouTube account!

http://www.youtube.com/user/mariobrosfan4000/
02 Dec 2010 01:46 AM
I agree with your opinion.
Mike

Hookah
04 Dec 2010 05:09 AM
inu-liger Administrator
I'm surprised I'm not seeing more responses from the people who submitted the questions we used! :-P
13 Feb 2011 12:07 PM
Yamato-san Administrator
Quote From: TSS_Killer
For the record, inu-liger and myself were at a 4 1/2 hour concert the night before which explains the inconsistencies during this interview.

does that, somehow or other, explain the video being divided almost two minutes before the "welcome back" dialog came up?
14 Feb 2011 07:28 AM
Sunain Administrator
Quote From: Yamato-san
Quote From: TSS_Killer
For the record, inu-liger and myself were at a 4 1/2 hour concert the night before which explains the inconsistencies during this interview.

does that, somehow or other, explain the video being divided almost two minutes before the "welcome back" dialog came up?

That was a YouTube problem at the time that didn't allow for video to be greater than 15 minutes. They have since begun activating some accounts without the time limit to a select number of users.