Home / Forums / Site Discussion / Content Plagiarizing
Thread Posts
06 Oct 2012 02:10 AM
Sunain Administrator
Unfortunately, it has come to it has come to our attention that people visiting PocketMonsters.net are plagiarizing our originally created news articles and site content pages without permission or even linking back as a credited source. It is unfortunate that the Pokemon community thinks this is acceptable but obviously the Pokemon community is a pretty odd, immature and young fanbase so circumstances like this are a common occurrence.

As a fansite, PocketMonsters.net has always tried to be a free site and ad free as we believe that the spirit of a 'fansite' is hampered when a hobby or an interest comes in conflict with business initiatives and generating revenue by exploiting a copyrighted intellectual property. Though our site is small in regards to other Pokemon fansites on the Internet, we have a core group of users that visit the site on a regular basis. With over 2 million hits per month, we have tried to keep our viewers informed with the latest information about Pokemon.

It would be appreciated that all those who intend to use our originally created content actually source us. All our articles and content generally have an original source link if we have created our own article based on another news source. Copying our news articles or site content word for word or even just slightly modified is plagiarizing. We do our best to rectify the situations if possible but unfortunately those that plagiarize and get caught do not want to admit it and they think that they are the ones that have been wronged.

The footer of every page on this site states: "Pokemon, all assorted characters, images and audio are ©Game Freak, Nintendo, and the Pokemon Company. All images, text and audio are used in an editorial context. No site content, information, translations, news, images or otherwise may be reposted to any website without expression permission from the staff."

Our affiliate site Serebii.net which we help provide content for on a weekly basis is constantly having to deal with people and websites plagiarizing content for monetary gain and website traffic hits. Many people just shrug plagiarizing off because 'its on the Internet so its fair game'. Copyright laws as well as fair use laws were instituted worldwide to deal with situations like this but unfortunately the amount of time and resources that it takes to police such an initiative is astronomical. It is very unfortunate when websites and people benefit from originally created articles through website traffic which generates ad revenue and popularity while capitalizing on the hard work of others.

PocketMonsters.net prides itself in being a public database of Pokemon content from around the world and a great reference. Unfortunately if the plagiarizing continues, that diminishes our enthusiasm to produce articles and site content for public viewing.

Last edited 06 Oct 2012 02:57 AM by Sunain
06 Oct 2012 03:01 AM
TSS_Killer Administrator
This actually reminds me of another Pokémon site that copied my scans of the Pokémon 10th Anniversary Map and Stamp card five years ago. What I don't understand is how people can steal images without permission and post it publicly. I find that to be not only disrespectful, but flawed logic in a way. Unfortunately, the community has gone downhill for about the last three or four years. I'm not going to mention any sites (because you know who they are), but I suppose some people wouldn't understand the feeling until it happens to them.

We can only hope that this will serve as a wakeup call to the so-called "Social Media Pundits".
Last edited 06 Oct 2012 03:02 AM by TSS_Killer
06 Oct 2012 03:29 AM
See here's the thing some people just don't seem to understand. Properly run fan-sites take a lot of work to run. It's not as simple as just finding the pictures you want to post and posting them. There's a reason why there's several staff members running most of the better websites as opposed to just one single person. It's not just the time and effort putting unto collecting the data and putting it together in a user-friendly format. There are also a lot of legal details involved in running a proper website. pocketmonsters.net is constantly under the scrutiny of anyone involved in making Pokemon games, TV shows, movies, books, toys, and any other Pokemon product. There are certain things that simply cannot be posted on the website. For example if someone were to post Pokemon concept designs before the Pokemon were officially revealed, Nintendo would push to have the site shut down before a Cease and Desist letter can even make it to the site owners. Then the lawsuits would come seeking at the very least fines to be levied, and you'd be left to bulba for your pokeneeds. There's reasons why this site is very careful to post accurate information with proper citations. Because it's what pokemon fans deserve, and it's what the creators of Pokemon deserve. That's why Nintendo, Gamefreaks, PUSA, etc leaves us alone.

Now with all that attention to detail, all that effort, all those manhours (Sunain you still work too damn hard)... for some jacknugget to come along and steal directly from us and post it on their damn facebook crap... that's beyond disgusting. Can't even give a shout out to the people who busted their rumps getting this information together just takes it like it's fricking nothing. Seriously. Get a life bro. I know people are bored cause Jersey Shore got cancelled but really.

On a side note, anyone know a good lawyer that works pro bono?
07 Oct 2012 08:10 PM
inu-liger Administrator
"On a side note, anyone know a good lawyer that works pro bono?"

IIRC, laywers are heavily recommended, if not required(?) by their bar - depending on the country - to serve a minimum hours of pro bono service per year.

That being said, it's not just Pokemon fan sites like ours that have disclaimers posted asking other people and websites to respect copyrighted articles, there are also other sites like for instance Brian May (of Queen) who has this splattered on his Soapbox:

Quote From: Brian May
''COPYRIGHT NOTE:
Please DON'T reproduce stuff from these pages without permission. And if you do, please give us credit (brianmay.com)!! and a LIVE link. Cheers ! Bri
- ALSO APPLIES TO FOREIGN SITES AND TWITTER''

Per http://www.brianmay.com/brian/brianssb/brianssb.html

So if you have even blog-like sites such as the above requesting copyright to be observed and respected, then it's just as much fair game for us to do the same. And the Pokemon fan community really needs to grow a massive collective pair of balls and grow up. Seriously, this shit can only go on for so long before people really get past of being tired of it.
Last edited 07 Oct 2012 09:05 PM by inu-liger
08 Oct 2012 02:04 PM
The Bulbagarden song (sing to we all live in a pokemon world!!)

i wanna take the ulitmate step
steal content from you all (Yeah)
to paste it all and just forget
the contents not my own

I wanna paste from serebii
to standout from the crowd
to learn the copy/paste command
use the mouse keys in my hand

We all Live in a pogeymanz World
(pogeymanz world)
I wanna be greatest plager of them all
(plager of them all)