Home / Forums / Anime Discussion / Unova Episodes / BW 33: リグレーと未確認飛行物体!/Ligray to mikakunin hikō butt...
Thread Posts
10 Apr 2011 01:26 AM
AnimeBot Automated Bots
New episode title(s) has/have been added to the database. Title: リグレーと未確認飛行物体!/Ligray to mikakunin hikō buttai!. Please comment below! Thanks, your friendly PM.Net AnimeBot
16 May 2011 01:03 PM
A nice episode. There wasn't anything really special about that one, though. Ligray was quite cute (didn't have that impression in-game), and sort of reminded me of a 'cutie version' of Deoxys.
I found Dent was quite funny in this episode... I never expected him to be a 'Science Sommelier' fond of UFOs! Thinking back to previous episodes (especially the one in the museaum), I found he was a bit 'contradictory' (I wouldn't say UFOs are really scientific in any way, at least for now ;)).

Anyway, about the next episode : I am so NOT looking forward to it. In my opinion, Shootie is THE worst rival in the whole series' history. I've rarely seen a character with such an over-sized ego. I hope the writers did a good job with him !
Last edited 16 May 2011 01:06 PM by Chance
16 May 2011 02:01 PM
Erlade Administrator
Quote From: Chance
Anyway, about the next episode : I am so NOT looking forward to it. In my opinion, Shootie is THE worst rival in the whole series' history. I've rarely seen a character with such an over-sized ego. I hope the writers did a good job with him !

I wouldn't say he is the worst rival we've seen so far... If anyone should be called the worst rival ever, that would have to be Shinji, in my opinion (even though the closure he got in the last episodes of the Sinnoh league made him look a lot nicer). We've seen him mistreat his Pokémon just to make them stronger (especially Hikozaru), catch Pokémon and then release them because he didn't deem them strong enough to be a part of his team (like the multiple Mukkuru he caught when Satoshi first met him, which he released shortly afterwards) and not care about his Pokémon's feelings in general... So far, Shootie hasn't done anything that would make him look as bad as Shinji was shown to be in the first few episodes of DP... well, except for being a bit selfish and looking down on Satoshi because he's from Kanto.
16 May 2011 02:57 PM
Sunain Administrator
This episode reminded me of DP149 with the same type of story. A scientist that doesn't like outside people much and tries to stay secluded and then creates an amazing device. Other than that, I liked the episode. I thought Ligray was a likeable Pokemon and I found it funny that Satoshi instantly thought it was an Alien. The episode definitely had its moments.
16 May 2011 03:22 PM
Quote From: Erlade

I wouldn't say he is the worst rival we've seen so far... If anyone should be called the worst rival ever, that would have to be Shinji, in my opinion (even though the closure he got in the last episodes of the Sinnoh league made him look a lot nicer). We've seen him mistreat his Pokémon just to make them stronger (especially Hikozaru), catch Pokémon and then release them because he didn't deem them strong enough to be a part of his team (like the multiple Mukkuru he caught when Satoshi first met him, which he released shortly afterwards) and not care about his Pokémon's feelings in general... So far, Shootie hasn't done anything that would make him look as bad as Shinji was shown to be in the first few episodes of DP... well, except for being a bit selfish and looking down on Satoshi because he's from Kanto.

That's very true. Shinji was a real jerk, but at least, there was some interesting writing done with him (like the Hikozaru you mentionned).
But so far, I haven't seen anything really interesting about Shootie so far, except his over-sized ego. He's not just 'selfish and looking down on Satoshi', in my opinion (though I couldn't exactly pin down what I disliked so much in him). What's more, we're quite used to rivals looking down on Satoshi, which is another reason I don't like him. So far, there hasn't been anything original about his character.

Then again, I agree I'm not being fair with Shootie, comparing him to Shinji, who had so many more episodes than Shootie.

Quote From: Shinji
This episode reminded me of DP149 with the same type of story.

That's funny, because I didin't even think about that episode. Maybe because I had the ones with Deoxys in mind.
Last edited 16 May 2011 03:28 PM by Chance
16 May 2011 05:27 PM
Erlade Administrator
That's very true. Shinji was a real jerk, but at least, there was some interesting writing done with him (like the Hikozaru you mentionned).
But so far, I haven't seen anything really interesting about Shootie so far, except his over-sized ego. He's not just 'selfish and looking down on Satoshi', in my opinion (though I couldn't exactly pin down what I disliked so much in him). What's more, we're quite used to rivals looking down on Satoshi, which is another reason I don't like him. So far, there hasn't been anything original about his character.

Then again, I agree I'm not being fair with Shootie, comparing him to Shinji, who had so many more episodes than Shootie.

Well, if you only take into account the first few episodes of DP and BW, Shootie has appeared in roughly the same number of episodes as Shinji had up to DP40, and also got roughly the same amount of focus (as BW23, 24 and 26 haven't aired yet, we might be missing some of Shootie's appeareances). Even though I agree that Shootie hasn't done anything interesting enough so far that could greatly distinguish himself from Satoshi's other rivals, if you look back into Shinji's first appearances, he didn't have anything interesting going for himself either. Except for being a jerk to his Pokémon, his character only started unfolding after DP40 (at least the way I see it), so I guess we should just be more patient when it comes to Shootie. I think the writers will find something to make him more interesting in the episodes to come. :) Besides, it's not like they haven't tried to differentiate him a bit from the other rivals. We have seen that he also has a soft side, apart from his normal, selfish one, (he used his Hatoboh to protect Satoshi's Mamepato from the Fushide's attack and then lead them to the Central Area of Hiun City in BW22, and also helped Satoshi identify the reason why Mijumaru's Aqua Jet keeps failing in BW34) which, as far as I remember, none of the other rivals had shown so early into the series.